To Whom

by Meghan Tutolo



In these last months, I’ve gotten to know you. In fact, we’ve courted,
shared countless chili dogs, rubbed up against each other in bathroom stalls.
We’ve looked up words to make sure they match us.

You’ve taught me to wrinkle my brows at passing hand holders,
that sway of together-walk used to get me like dark chocolate.
I want revenge now. I want to put my hands on their turtlenecks.

People put honey on the way they say things,
dream beside the idea of someone they’ve painted under their sheets.
It’s so easy to fill shoes that never had feet in them.

They lost their edge, you say, but I know where they put it.
Lately, I iron my clothes; stand in the empty room where love
used to be, used it up on this steam that is rolling over my buttondown.

These summer nights are like dog breath, everything sticking
to everything else. There aren’t too many thoughts I can shake,
so I shake my head to make peace with the thing in my chest.

I taught myself.