Letter to Alexander Pope


by Radu Dima

Dear Mr Pope,

I'm on to you.

Credit where credit is due, Google did most of the legwork while I sort of stumbled along like a lame wallaby, but I'm happy to play Watson and document the case. I also have to congratulate you here, Mr Pope – keeping this a secret for so many hundreds of years is no mean feat, and even now it was mostly luck that I managed to find out; though, having read you for so long, I'd like to think that it was bound to happen.

Still, you can understand my confusion when first going through some of your digitized works and seeing, for example, beneath the title of Ode for Music, this:


Fweep the founding lyre indeed. Or something cut out randomly from the Rape of the Lock:

And these weren't just isolated occurrences: anywhere I bothered to look there was no s to see. At first, I was sure I'd stumbled over some old typographic prank, given new lease on life by the digitizers, but a bit of further digging made me drop the thought. The edition I had come across was a Collected Works from 1748. If these spellings only showed up there, I could chalk them up to a dotty editor or a myopic typesetter and go on with my life, but here they were again in 1728's Dunciad, and in the 1714 Rape of the Lock, and even in your translations from Homer. In fact, in all of your poetic works prior to 1748 that I could find online. Curiously, after 1748, the words reverted to their modern spellings. Even curiouser, none of your contemporaries followed the trend, they all spelt their words normally both before and after that date.

So what was going on? Were all your publishers taking a typographic stand? Was it an error that people liked the look of? I said above that anywhere I looked in the digitization I could see no s, but that wasn't exactly true. The titles of the poems made perfectly confident use of the letter, according to all modern rules of English, which meant that its omission from the body text was a conscious decision – most likely on your part.

Which could only mean one thing.

I say that you, and I am confident this is the first time it has been said outside the cramped offices of popist scholars, yes you, Mr Pope, had a lisp. And not only had one, not only spoke with one, which wouldn't be a big deal since I can probably find a lisper in any Wal-Mart today, but wrote with one.
You eschewed one of the bathic thoundth of the English language – I needed to know why. The physical presence of a lisp was a reasonable explanation, but an unsatisfying one, since there must have been plenty other writers through history who didn't spell their lisps out. What convinced you to embrace it as a literary device? Laziness? Boredom? Both? I eventually found my answer by going back further in time, in an uncharacteristic fit of overzealousness, and digging up the first edition of Milton's Paradise Lost. Or, as it was actually called, Paradife Loft. Since, as you well know Mr Pope, Milton too was a lisper (something recognized even by the Commonwealth's jocular Council of State –which named him Secretary for Foreign Tongues). In fact, he was probably the first literary lisper, and Paradife Loft is unquestionable evidence of this since it was almost entirely dictated. What this means for me is that Paradife Loft will have to be re-evaluated under lisp-light, with even a cursory examination showing that it serves as a foil to Milton's grandiloquence, and reveals the poem to be, in fact, a work of powerful satire. For instance:
High on a throne of royal state, which far
Outshone the wealth of Ormuz and of Ind,
Or where the gorgeous East with richest hand
Showers on her kings barbaric pearl and gold,
Satan exalted sat.
now becomes:
High on a throne of royal ftate, which far
Outshone the wealth of Ormuz and of Ind,
Or where the gorgeouf Eaft with richeft hand
Showerf on her kingf barbaric pearl and gold,
Fatan exalted fat.

But even more importantly, it shows the satirical hoofprints you were stepping in, and it brings two of the greatest English poets even closer. It even explains your passion for the Iliad and Odyssey – no wonder you were attracted to a language no one knew how to pronounce correctly: your lisp felt at home on Homer's lips. People once knew this about you, Alexander, but then it was forgotten. How? Why? The how is easy: through the concerted actions of your scholars and editors after 1747 almost all traces of your lisp were eliminated. Why? That answer was trickier, but it has to do with Thomas Vermilion Herring, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1747 onwards, a fiercely patriotic man and powerfully anti-catholic, who seems to have fostered an intense dislike of your speech impediment and your catholic background, but who nevertheless recognized your talent as a poet. He seems to have commissioned the change, and your editors rose up to the challenge.

Ever since I found these things out, I've been noticing middle-aged men in mournful tweed politely tailing me wherever I go, and throwing me sad glances whenever I meet their eyes. There's such an inconsolable air about them that it pains me to undo the work they've been adding to for so long, but I think their efforts are misguided. I can understand why they believe you should be shielded from ridicule, and, truth be told, ridicule following such a revelation would nowadays be likely. But I think they've forgotten the kind of man you are: back in your day you would have thought nothing of someone making jokes at your expense. Hell, you even started, with Swift, a society entirely devoted to satirical punch-ups (that ended in actual punch-ups): the Scriblerus Club – no prizes for guessing who came up with that name. Alexander, the anger of dunces kept you in good spirits, and today you wouldn't run dry for a moment, as long as you keep turning all that-ire into satire like you did before. I admit, death is an inconvenience even for a man of your stature (about four feet on a good day), still, the ones coming at you for being dead and white and male should be easy – the ones picking on your lisp would just be grasping at thraws.

Now I know I've kept my distance through most of this letter, but we're running out of time here so let's talk straight. Alex, Al baby, it's ok. Own up like you did before, the world needs you. Think of the many people ashamed of their lisps, think of the good it would do to have you and Johnny Milton on their side. Come back up and climb on a stool and tell everyone: "Screw the sibilants, some things should simply be said straight: Yes, sir, I lisp!" Trust me: it would be glorious.

Until then, Alexander, stay safe.
Radu Dima

PS : I always had a hunch you were the only Pope worth lispening to.